Re: [Harp-L] Stevie Wonder

On May 10, 2008, at 1:43 AM, G. E. Popenoe wrote:

Joe wrote:

"As for Isn't She Lovely. I don't think it's being done on a C chromo. It
sounds like a draw key to me."

I just played along with that one. He could have done it on C chromo.

That's the one that's in E? Yes, I must have been thinking of something else. I just went in the garage and tried it.

Dave McKelvy once played a track or two for me from a rare intrumental album
by Stevie.

You're talking about Eivets Rednow

Stevie can make a plucking sound on the instrument that almost
sounds like plucking the string of a violin.

Yes, a real mind bender. You will notice it's on the blow notes. He is flicking his tongue while making a clucking motion embochure.

To this day I have not figured out the trick. The album proved that he can get around on the instrument quite well thank you very much. I'm sure he has his pick of keys.

To be sure, BUT while he may have his pick of keys he also has to be careful to pick a key where the note sequences work. It's hard to chip notes on the top reed plate. Chipping into notes on the bottom reed plate is the way to go.

He can bend on blow or draw using his powerful attack and saturated tone. Sure he
may shift a key to get at a particular lick. Why not. Guitar players detune
there instruments to get to particular sounds and expand possibilities.

Look, there is a reason his last name is Wonder.

There's now an 18 year old who sounds a lot like him. smo-joe