Re: [Harp-L] Chaka Khan I Feel for You (warning....long)

On May 9, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Rob Paparozzi wrote:

Smo-Joe,

Yes, amazing Rob

This is an interesting Thread...Us Chrom players often wonder such questions ???

Wow, TELL me about it. I spent years sending letters to my queries. Mostly with no luck.

But what about his Classic Solo's in E "Isn't she Lovely" and F# "For Once in my Life"...to my ears these sound like the original keys??

Yes, they do. There are exceptions. As I was saying, a lot of the older stuff is between the keys (or gimmicked). It's like someone once told me that back then, they didn't have the equipment to make the recordings spot on and you could get variances. Especially with the smaller studios.

I feeling was: what do I look like? Some sort of 'Choocho'? I mean Tom Dowd and Rudy VanGelder were nailing down tracks within ONE CENT way back in the 40s. By the 50s, Les Paul was nailing down 16 tracks on machines he built HIMSELF.

As for Isn't She Lovely. I don't think it's being done on a C chromo. It sounds like a draw key to me. As for Once in My Life, that tune is possible in F#. I do that tune, but the singer uses C & C#

My Fav solo is his Creepin' in Ebm starting on that funky bent down "A" note..

Shure. It is wonderful. It's a C chromo, played 'like' in Dm with the button pushed in, culminating in Ebm. Same keys as used in other tunes like Around Midnight, Take 5, etc. Dm is actually easier than C. And Ebm isn't far behind. I actually started playing chrom the wrong way. When I first picked one up. I (like all good Itralians) sucked instead of blowing. Funny that, because it's not like I started on diatonic in cross harp. That was later.

Anyway, I progressed the following way. Dm, D, C, F, Db, Ebm, G, Am, and yada yada.

we'll have to hear from the transcription mavens!!! Winslow and Hunter,-)

I agree, THEY would be the difinitive source on this topic as I once heard that no one has studied Stevie more than the Wizard. And as for Hunter, he's should be declared illegal to PLAY harp.

My suspicions led me to write to the Steveland organization several times over several years. First of all, your chances of getting an answer are somewhere between no never and don't hold your breath, BUT finally, after 7 years of this nonsensee, and after having sent numerous letters with enclosed self addressed stamped envelopes, one day I got an idea.

I sent an affadavit addressing exactly who I was, where I was coming from and the reasons for my queries. I promised under my oath of office to never divulge anything they didn't want me to, enclosed a questionaire, and it had 2 blocks stating:
1..... Information is not sensitive
2..... Do not divulge

I went to a magistrate, had it stamped and sent it. Believe it or not, I finally got an answer. I (basically) found out something that everyone already knows. The 'Stevie' organization would make the MI-5, CIA, Homeland Security, DEA, ATF, KGB ALL look like Mr Roger's Neighborhood. Now Stevie doesn't answer 'Bzyczk'. It's all done in the front office. I got quite a few answers. Some good some bad.

Another one I've often wondered about was Toots' solo on Ralph MacDonalds "Smoke Rings and Wine" on his THE PATH LP.

I am not familiar with the tune nor the album.

..I always forget to ask Toots about this when I see him on occassion....The song is in E and what a smooth Jazzy solo which leads me to be he used another key 270 at the time.......

This is the quandry. Many players are assumed to play only a C chromo. I don't believe it. I'm not calling anyone a liar. I just won't buy it. And since I'm no one they are never going to have to prove it.
'I' was the one that had a job where everyone had to prove things to me. That's over. The fat lady sang.

Jerry Murad was one of those 'Play everything on a C and ONLY a C' guys. Meanwhile, he had a briefcase whom his Itralian friend made pockets inside. There were SEVERAL other keys in there. Most were 270s, but a few were 64s. An F, a Bb, and I think a B.

Why he once played Mack the Knife with 4 keys and TWO chromos. a Bb and a C. He!!, even little old 'I' can do that tune on 1 chromo in 5 keys.

And for all those who went through the ordeal of reading this, you have been a real brick through it all and I want you all to know that Robs' rendition of 'A Christmas Song' is absolutely the best you will ever hear. I hear a lot of top super stars and they (while stunning) don't move me. Very few players have ever made me actually cry. Rob holds that distinction.

smo-joe

all the best,

Rob P
www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats