[Harp-L] Re: Shure 545 mic

Chris wrote:
"I just made an equipment trade for a 545 Shure wand type mic with a friend.  This is the only mic I ever owned where I can turn the volumn up to 8-9  and not get feedback."

Then Joe wrote:
"Check and make sure your mic is wired for high impedance. From your description about volume, feedback and tubes it sounds like you either have a low impedance mic or something is wrong with the mic.  A low impedance mic plugged into a hi impedance input of an amp will not be very loud and will
suffer in the tone department as well."

I agree with Joe - I think your 545 is set up for low impedance. This doc from Shure [http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_ug/documents/web_resource/us_pro_545_ug.pdf] will show the proper way to ensure your mic is set for hi-z. I have a 545S (same mic but with an on/off switch) that was set for low-z when I got it. At first I used it with a lo-to-hi z transformer on the amp end of the cord. Later, since I'm an imbecile when it comes to electronics, I took the mic and that doc to a tech and had him set the mic internally for hi-z and lop off the end of the cord and replace it with a 1/4" male jack. It made quite a difference in the tone and volume of the mic. Now that puppy screams. Highly recommended.
MN

Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™  Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.