[Harp-L] Chris Reynolds' harp combs

recently i decided to buy a couple of harps from chris reynolds' harps with
his machined metal combs. and thought i'd share my experience with members
of this list.....

if you haven't been to his website, chris' website provides tons of photos
and all the info a person needs to place an order, he makes it easy...and
after placing the order i really appreciated his quick shipping and his high
level of customer communication....plus i really appreciated his modest
mailing fees......overall, very professional!

after receiving the 2 harps i ordered, both with stainless combs, i was
taken with the highly polished edges of the combs, they are so smooth and
are also beautifully fitted to the reedplates which makes playing them easy
on my mouth!

also i like the shape he's given the pieces of the comb between holes.
they're very slightly rounded from one hole to the adjacent one and are ever
so slightly raised above the edge of the reedplates; it's faster to move
from one note to the next.....i think he's made an improvement over the
original in that portion of the comb design.....however, i'm no expert;o)

one thing that surprised me was how much i like their heavier weight
compared with plastic or wooden combed harps.  they feel solid... and
substantial.  and they do sound slightly different than the same reedplates
on a plastic comb....i don't know if it's because they're more air tight or
if my mouth and tongue more easily conform to the shape of the between hole
portions of the comb or if it's something else, such as my mind playing
tricks on me ;o)  whatever the reason, i like the way they sound and the way
they feel.

and...if i would spend more time playing and practicing, i would begin to
enjoy the sounds i make ;o)

bruce