Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Seeking quick fix for lost chrom button

I know this is late, but I just read the Digest now. It's probably too  late
for John but might help someone else in the same predicament down the  road.

I'm sure some of the women who play also knit, or some men have female
family members who have knitting supplies and might have older knitting needles
with the rounded flat wood or plastic 'tops' to them.  The last time one  fell
off a knitting needle I had, I realized it would make a great chromatic  button
(in a pinch).

There's always the possibility of finding an actual 'button' among a button
stash..and gluing that on, but your quick fix seems to be adequate in the
interim. I think the cork would be a better feel than the bouncy ball...so would
the flatted rounded knitting needle tops I'm talking about.  You want to
duplicate the same 'feel'..or it'll throw off his normal style of playing.

I'm all for gluing the same button back on as long as it isn't lost  using
Gorilla glue as I've said umpteen times...(it glues like to like, no  solder
involved), and has held a popped off button on my 260 Hohner for the last  3
years, now).  That button's going nowhere.  Is on tighter than it  was originally,
and set overnight.

Of course, if John has an old 'junker' chrom lying around...even a 260...he
can 'borrow' the button from (pop it off with pliers), he's home free.  Go  to
any hardware store to buy the Gorilla glue...sandwich the slide with slight
pressure between two stacks of books for about 7- 8 hours and it'll do the
job.

I also have a Koch in pristine condition I never play.  I'm in  NY.

To straighten the bent slide might require use of a vise..or a good pair of
padded pliers..but I'll ask the question for John on Slidemeister right now
and  send him any responses I get via email.

Elizabeth

Message: 6