Re: [Harp-L] tab for Oh Canada?

You're not likely to find diatonic tab for O Canada because it uses a chromatic note that doesn't play well (or at least easily) on a standard-tuned diatonic.

The chromatic note in the tune is the sharp 4th degree of the scale (like F# in the key of C).

In first position, you'd have to play a 5 Overblow to get this note (or valve Draw 6 so you could bend the blow note down, but the tone might be poor and it would be hard to play in tune). In second position you could get the #4 as a Draw 4 bend, but you'd also have to play a 5 overblow (or valved 6 blow bend), in addition to a lot of Draw 3 bends. Most of these bends would be difficult to play in tune.

The best solution for playing it on diatonic is to use Melody Maker(tm)  tuning in second position, which would give you all the major scale notes and let you bend for the #4 scale note (draw 4). That note comes only twice in the tune, once in a really prominent place, and it goes immediately to the unbent draw note. Bending for any of the other notes is likely to sound out of tune.

Or you could just play it in first position on a chromatic and use the button for the F#. The F# aside, it's a fairly simple tune.

Depending on which harp choice you prefer, maybe someone here can work up tab.

Winslow

pdxharpdog@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote: Can anyone on the list point me to a source for harp tab for the Canadian National Anthem?  I have been asked to play both Scotland the Brave (which I know) and the Canadian National Anthem at a memorial service.

Thanks -

pdxharpdog