Re: [Harp-L] Howard Levy overblows out of the box

Rock on!

I'm sorry, I punned.

Gary Popenoe

On Mar 28, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"G. E. Popenoe" wrote:
<A truly great musician can make art bangin' two rocks together.

True enough. But you get different art with granite rocks than you do with sandstone rocks.

Howard mentioned at the seminar in NYC that Hohner harps are the only brand he knows of that can sustain an overblow, and when I had trouble bending an overblow up, he advised that it was the harp. He could apparently tell that without even knowing what make and model of harp it was, just by the sound of the overblow.

I have a few Suzuki Firebreaths, and they're supposedly designed for overblowing, so I'll give them a try. I also have a Turboharp AX (modified Special 20) that's setup for overblows, and I'll give that a shot too.

And a few hundred hours spent banging bebop-style rocks together wouldn't hurt me either, I reckon.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter