[Harp-L] Re: Chromatics and keys

Message: 13 Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:59:35 -0700 From: "Michael Polesky" <m.polesky@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [Harp-L] Chromatics and keys

> As I have taught many people to play chromatic, I disagree highly.   If
you don't try to bite off more than you can chew, you could  practice one
scale, AND ONLY ONE SCALE, for a whole week with it's  arpeggio and in 24
weeks you would know all major and minor scales.

I think Robert B. has a great point here. When I started learning scales on the clarinet, this is the way they were taught. The process was repeated, essentially, over and over again through a period of years until the scales and arpeggios became second nature. I learned to play the chromatic by repeating my clarinet studies and I find it relatively to play in "all keys" -although there are some I prefer more than others ;-). --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Can anyone provide good exercises for arpeggios? Thanks,

ms