[Harp-L] Western Swing

Come to think of it, I would love to hear Steel Guitar on a harp. There is not that can be added to the passages below except to say that you cannot talk of Western Swing without saying a thing or two about Leon Mccalufe and Eldon Shamblin

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/eldon-shamblin/apr-06/19528

http://www.texasplayboys.net/Biographies/leon_mcaulife.htm

Eldon Shamblin is one of the most underrated guitarist in the USA. He was right up there with Charlie Christian. It is said he played jammed with Christian in the after-hours Texas Oklahoma clubs  Hey its the stuff of legends and like all great stories (Robert Johnson for example) there are no third parties to collaborate any of them.

Leon Mccallufe was another giant. I love Steel Guitar Rag. I believe Merle Travis co-wrote the piece. Mccallufe was the first to use a multi- neck instrument with different tunings and he could get 9th and Diminished chords out of his steel.
On a side note, steel guitar rag was covered by the great blues legends Homesick James and Robert Nighthawk. Its is said the melody came from a piece from the blues unknown Sylvester Weaver. Great thread

If there's a chromatic player out there looking to open a frontier that I
think has not been explored at all, you could hardly do better than putting
together a Western Swing band and show the world how to play that mess on
chromatic.

Here are some basic notes, to get somebody started.

1. Western swing was the #1 most popular music in America by the time WW2
was over.  Like the emerging R&BE, it satisfied a very large demand for
simple, swinging music that had been built up in the thirties.  Like OR&BE,
it was a very important progenitor of Rock & Roll.

2. Like the swinging string band music that later became known as
Bluegrass, Western swing was simply called country music at the
time.  Bluegrass and Western swing records often sold to the same audience.

3. Bob Wills' band was nowhere near the most popular Western Swing band of
the 1930's.  One band to listen to, if you like the 30's version of the
music, is Milton Brown and his Brownies, a stunningly hard swinging
band.  Wills and a few of the early Texas Playboys (Bob's band) did time
with Brown.  There's a terrific 4 CD collection of Brown available, I
believe, on Proper.  Inexpensive.

4. By the end of the war Wills' band was the number one money maker in
America.  In any genre.  Their 40's sound blew people away from coast to
coast on radio, records and at their shows, which were often played in huge
ballrooms.

5. The music is exciting on record, but swing music is live music, and it's
dance music.  Recalling the thrill of hearing Asleep At The Wheel live
after hearing their records (no thrill for me) I have to believe that the
Wills band was such a huge live draw because they simply blew the minds of
their audience, who couldn't get enough.  There is still money in
swing.  People think they're going to see a show of campy nostalgia and
wind up buying every CD in sight.  Western Swing - same thing.

6. My favorite Wills recordings are on 10 CDs of transcriptions made for
the Tiffany label.  The boys are looser and having more fun than they were
at the formal recording sessions.

7. Wills music of the 40's is by no means my own favorite Western Swing of
the era.  I prefer the music of Spade Cooley, Hank Penny, Hank Thompson
(who even made records with Stan Kenton), Tex Williams and Merle
Travis.  All these performers were very, popular, sold tons of records
and deserve a place in the collections of anyone interested in Western
Swing.  One of the distinctive qualities that is common in all these bands
is the ensemble of accordion, muted trumpet, fiddle team and steel
guitar.  My favorite Western Swing records usually have a section where
that ensemble is swinging some big fat lead chords.  I love that sound.  It
is one of the most American sounds.

I have sat in with Western Swing bands, and I love playing diatonic, my
axe, with a great swinging rhythm section.  But a chromatic harmonica
leading in an ensemble with all those instruments, that'd be a thing of beauty.

I promise to say nice things about anyone who tries to make that happen.

Database version: 5.09490
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/