[Harp-L] 2 draw

Chris Pierce wrote:
  Adam Gussow has [many] little instructional videos on
YouTube.  One specifically deals with 2 DRAW issues:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Gcchw5rkM

Give that a watch and see if it helps.  I hope so!

  Watching this, I was surprised that Gussow said the lesson was for beginners, but really discussed an intermediate problem.  He was addressing players who were capable of producing an on pitch note with leaky tone.  What I am guessing Sharon (starter of the thread) is experiencing is what Winslow called the pre-bend, bending two draw unintentionally.

  Here is the advice I shot Sharon offlist:

  For 2 draw, breathe in do not suck in.  Put some jaw width between your teeth.  Open your eyes and raise your eyebrows with a happy surprised look.  Pucker with lips in the "e" position.

  Yesterday I was working with a student who was having the same problem with hole 1 draw.  On her C harp she was trying to hit D, but played a very low C#.  I tried out some new advice and it worked.

  When I am explaining bending my first clue is AAA is the natural note  OOO is the bent note.  So I simply reversed the process.  I said move your mouth as though saying
  "OOOOWAAH"  Success!

  After a few tries she was able to feel what the natural note felt like atnd could hit it on command.  After 22 years of teaching and playing, this was my most succesful moment in dealing with an issue that faces nearly EVERY beginner.  Hopefully I have discovered the way for everyone, more than likely it is another clue that works for some but not everyone.  That's how it seems to work.
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com