Re: [Harp-L] Towels (was EQ'ing for harp)

Nice. You're a towel. That's a great bit o history there and much appreciated.

Frankly, when anyone asks me how I do ANYTHING I'm so flattered that I spill all the beans.

But I really believe it's better to develop one's own sound and approach. Twisting knobs for a few hours will teach one far more than using someone else's settings.

I understand that when people ask these kinds of questions they're just asking for a starting point. I think that's mainly what I was hoping for from my engineer pals.

But just diving into the deep end turned out to be pretty much the best thing for me.

By the way, though I recorded the guitar and vocals for Music For Small Audience in a professional studio, I recorded the harmonica at home, because each solo took more hours of work than I could afford to pay for. I tried to record as flat as possible and then went back to the professional studio for mixes. I told the engineer to use his own recipes on the harp eq and I'd just react. He did far better than I could have.

The mastering engineer sweetened up the sound that much more.

But this year I intend to release a bunch of recordings on my blog for free download, and I will be recording those in the home studio, so I hope to learn alot more about how to get nice sounds from marginal equipment.