Re: [Harp-L] EQ'ing for harp

captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:
<? I recently used a mixer that had 2 knobs for mids. I know that <basically, harp players usually turn up bass and lower trebles, but <what do ya'll do with your mids?

The question is, what are the frequency bands that those mid-range controls are affecting? And what frequencies is your mic already emphasizing?

In general, emphasizing the low mid-range--around 250 Hz--tends to make the harp sound bigger and fatter. When you go into the high midrange, around 3000-5000 Hz, you're going to collide with any amped guitar in the room, because guitar amps put out a lot of energy in that range. These frequencies are also pretty harsh, and too much energy in that range tends to annoy the audience. So if you've got mid-frequency knobs, start by turning up the one that affects the lower mids.

Bullet-type mics tend to top out around 5000-6000 Hz in terms of their frequency response, so when you turn up the volume on your amp and you're using a bullet mic, you're probably going to emphasize that range in any case.

My experience with most tube amps--especially the Fender Bassman, which a lot of harp players use--is that the Bass knob affects the frequencies around 100 Hz. In that range, harmonicas mostly put out breathing noise, not musical frequencies. So I'd make sure that you actually hear a difference in the sound of the harmonica before you turn up that bass knob all the way and leave it there.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter