Re: [Harp-L] Moriarty

The definition of quirky. They pull it off with one mic.

BTW. If you have never played with several musicians on one mic, it is a
great experience. You are forced to change up your whole approach. When
handled well, there are better blends and dynamics. Your notes share
the same air with the notes of the other players. You are forced to listen
much more carefully in order to get a balanced sound through the mic and to
the audience. Harmonica groups used to do it all the time in the old days.

One time, when I was with the Original Harmonica Band, we played a gig at a
county fair. It was on a stage made of temporary risers in a big barn of an
exhibit building. There was a contractual mix up and the usual PA with five
mics on stands was not there. Instead, there was one lonely mic on the riser
wired to this odd looking sputnik style mono speaker high in the center of
the roof over the middle of the audience!

Now, remember, we were a musical comedy act with pratfalls tightly
choreographed with the music. Not a time to panic. We were being paid for
the gig and there was a house full of audience.

Fortunately, everyone in the band was seasoned pro. We ended up turning it
into fun and the audience showed their appreciation. It is one of those
classic entertainment situations where it is *#@!! before the show and
laughs on the way home.