Re: [Harp-L] Customer Service

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Ross" <robertaross@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:50 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Customer Service

........The biggest mistake that small business owners make is to believe
they are in business to sell something. Nothing could be further from
the truth. You may have a lifelong interest in a product or service
so decided to start selling it - but once you enter the business
world your love of the product is secondary to the real truth - you
sell customer service. not products.

Amen! A couple of years ago, I solicited customers for a joint effort to buy metal 270 combs from a CNC machine shop. I collected everyone's money, placed the order with the shop, and did not receive delivery for months!

A sure way to enrage a customer is to charge his card, fail to deliver promptly, AND fail to communicate. I kept my reputation (I think) by a barrage of emails. Sometimes the news was that there was no news but the real message was that I cared. That experience proved that you can string a customer along for months if you offer him his money back and, especially, if you stay in touch. Ignoring customer calls and emails is (and should be) fatal to a business.

Vern