[Harp-L] Harp-L History

In a post, Danny G says:

"I've been silent since Danny Wilson created Harp_L. (negative ?)"

I would like to clarify the above, if I may, with important input from current owner, fjm.

Thanks to both Danny G for the mention, and to fjm for the clarification.

Harp-l originated on the servers of Western Kentucky University. It was founded by Chris Pierce and resided there until Chris's graduation.

Quoting fjm: “The list moved from WKU to Garply.com where it was headed up by Hugh Messinger who abruptly disappeared about 18 months in. That's when SPAH stepped in and supported the list financially. Danny Wilson was then the listowner until the triumvirate of Robert Gaustad, Michael Polesky and another Robert whose name escapes me at the moment took over the running of the list.”

“The trio didn't last long - it quickly became just Michael and his tech support, Jonas Karlsson. There was also a background presence of harp-l workers started in the Hugh era. Garply folded and became net assets - we had outages, two of which lasted for over a month. From the former Garply we moved to Value Price Hosting with Michael still the listowner. About midway through the VPH era the reality was that I really ran the list.”

“Michael wrote after about a year and a half of that and offered me the job. I took it but with hesitation because of the hosting situation. I had some conversation with Ben Nathanson about something technical. He got the story of the hosting ills and we hatched the plan to find another host and move the list. That's how we ended up with the current
co-owner line up We moved the list and the rest is history.”

Thanks for the review, fjm.

Danny

--
BassHarp