Re: [Harp-L] Just Intonation for Blues?

I have heard that Leo Diamond tuned to 448 and I've heard similar things about Stevie Wonder. Gorgeous tone from each of them, and you can hear how they might depress pitch a lot in getting their sound, so the extreme of 446 or 448, for them, may be just right.

For me to play a harp tuned that high would be unbearable; I just don't depress pitch enough to make 446 or 448 work; it would be a conscious effort and would slow me down.

That's why I think it's important for every player to learn how to tune and set up reeds so they can get what works for them (or get with a customizer who can do it for them).

Winslow

MundHarp@xxxxxxx wrote:

Winslow,
I have my harps tuned to A446 at low volume.
That suites me, mainly because I tend to play loud, and this flattens the
notes, as I play! The notes come out at a perfect A440 when I actually play them
 on stage. (I am blessed with perfect pitch)
As for cover plates, I like Hohner MS "Blues Harp" covers...
They seem to make the instrument come alive in my hands. I don't like the
thick Meisterklasse or Danneker Blues covers.
Different strokes for different folks.
All the best,
John Walden,
London