[Harp-L] dangerous harp

I am sure that there were many influential moments that got me to my first harp, but I definitely remember a song by Simon and Garfunkel that got me interested.  I believe it is on Bookends.  The song is called A Simple Desultory Phillipic.  It is a parody or perhaps a flattery of Dylan.  In it someone plays Dylanesque harp in an amateur fashion.  At the end of the song, while harp is still being played, Simon says "I lost my harmonica, Albert."  with a tip of the hat to Albert Grossman, Dylan's manager.

  This song impressed me so much that when I finally got a harmonica, I named it Albert.  (I was 16 and a bit weird, so sue me). Almost immediately upon buying a harp, it become the main focus in my life.  22 years later, it still is.

  Hopefully I have done my share when it comes to convincing listeners that harp is a real instrument, capable of complex and/or moving music.  But if I had not been introduced to harp by harp "poorly" played, would I be an accountant today?  Let the American Idol kid do his thing.  He must be pretty young, perhaps he'll get the bug and will learn it.  By putting his harp on national TV, perhaps someone else will learn it as well.
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com