RE: [Harp-L] Re: Dangerous Harp

This seems like a good opening for me to jump into this discussion.

Hi, my name's Jonathan, and I, too, watched American Idol last night...(but it's not my fault, my wife watches it, I just happened to be in the room).  This was a double-whammy for me since my wife really dislikes the sound of the harmonica, whether well-played or not.

It really was bad, but I'm *glad* it was bad.  He openly admitted in the intro video that he just started playing a week ago.  If he had gone out there and nailed it, even if it was a simple part, then the obvious conclusion would be that it is a simple instrument to play well.  We don't need millions of people getting that idea (or having their idea reinforced).

What I found even more interesting was in a song later in the evening, there was a similar sounding harmonica in the accompaniment.  Simon commented that it sounded like Chikeezie (?) was playing on her song, but it wasn't the contestant that was playing.  It must have been from the backing band...which leads to the point of my e-mail.  I don't know these songs well (or really the Beatles in general), but did these songs originally include a harmonica part that was this incredibly basic/"bad"?  (For those that didn't hear it, I believe it was a very simple blow/draw chording on 123 (and maybe 4) throughout.)  Perhaps the two songs were just being played authentically.  For the sake of the contestants and the AI band, I sure hope so...because that's the only possible explanation I can think of for doing what they did last night.

Jonathan