[Harp-L] re: practice

I usually start with something familiar to warm up, usually a Sonny Boy
Williamson riff, just jam for a while until I have my hands right, my
breathing right, have the tone down, then I play some Junior Wells to get
into 3rd position. Then I run some riffs in major penatonic, play some Mel
Lyman,then I find a CD to play along with. Harp compilation albums are good
because you can get a variety of styles, but it's all blues. You can also
put on stuff like the Allman Brothers or weird old Grateful Dead (playing
along with Dark Star is a lot of fun). The goal for me is to get into a zone
where I'm playing and the music flows and I'm pushing my ability a little,
trying something new until I can do it without thinking. 3rd position is
coming hard, but I've got a whole lifetime to get it.

A common problem with practicing is negative self talk--the feeling that
everything you play sucks. Ignore it. Play anyway. Another problem is
energy. It helps to stay in shape, and it helps to be able to pull up some
mental exercises to keep yourself psyched.

Get something--a drum machine, a metronome, something to keep the beat.

It's nice to keep peace in the household and keep the volume down but once
in a while I need to practice electric.

The first fifteen minutes is the hardest. Get through that and things start
to flow.

Set up a room in the house where you practice and fix it up so you enjoy
spending time there. Try to find a particular time every day for practicing.
And remember you don't have to practice--you get to practice. Look forward
to it as a special time you get to do something just for yourself.

I also play piano. I find it helps me understand music theory because I can
actually see the notes.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.myspace.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals