Re: [Harp-L] practice

" I play in my
car. The police don't like it but it works."

You also get a ready-made audience, when playing in a "jam session", TRAFFIC
"jam", that is,,especially if you pull up next to the right car with your
fine self playin' that thing like it's goin' outta style (which, in some
parts of the world, to some people,,it is,,). Some people always seem ready
to have a good time, at the slightest suggestion of someone else having one
in the next lane over. That's YOU, and when YOU're having a good time, it
gets con-TA-gious. It's much better than cursing the day of your birth, or
the guy next to you, for having gotten yourself into yet another monstrous
gridlock,,

I've got my favorite jam tracks in the car. That's also where I often
DISCOVER my favorite jam tracks. Sometimes it's a revelation, which pieces
of music are suited for harp. I've been re-discovering a lot of jazz,
reggae, and latin beats lately, in the car.

But it also gives one practice in holding back and playing SUITABLE
accompaniment, if one is willing to listen to oneself with a discerning ear.

Playing along with some old blues cuts,,Smokestack Lightning,,Howlin' Wolf,
Muddy, etc,,I'm learning to play along with another harmonica without
stepping on them,,comping alongside the melody,,

One thing playing in the car prohibits is learning proper cupping, unless
one learns to steer with one's knees, which I HAVE.

I was playing while walking the other night, back from the store, with one
handful of groceries, and the other full of harp, and this guy passes me on
his way into the liquor store and says "Harpman!". I though I'd seen him
before, but couldn't recall just where. I said "Hi", rattled off a quick and
easy liquor store joke based on "card games in the back room,," went on, and
then had a feeling to hesitate a minute. He comes out of the liquor store,
returning to the townhomes we both live in, and tells me he's heard me
before, and we get into this conversation. Well,,as it turns out, he's a
veterinarian, and our dog is going through some tough times from a bad
reaction to an improperly given rabies booster shot. I got free and
extremely informed advice for my dog. If I hadn't been playing, I'd never
have met this guy. He also plays guitar and cello, two of my other personal
activities.

Things happen when you're having a good time playing harp. There's
electricity in the air,,it's magic!

People appreciate you havin' a good time, playin' your little tune, rhythm,
or personal creation. It gives 'em a reason to smile.

And if they don't,,,well,,good ol' Fordham University. They don't need to
stop and listen. As long as you don't intrude, neither should they. You're
just trying to lighten up the place a bit,,add some texture, some life, some
flavor.

Now playing in public isn't "woodshedding". That's private. That's where you
work out your familiarity with the instrument. What goes public is "the good
stuff", the stuff that works, based on your private practice time. Playing
along with recordings is great for woodshedding.

Blah blah blah,,I'll shut up now. I'm on a high from watching my dog getting
better. I love that little critter.

BL