Re: [Harp-L] Re: Old Boys' Network

My biggest problem with playing at jams is the loudness of the music. Not only can't I hear well what the rest of the band is playing, I can't hear myself well either. Sometimes I do wear ear plugs which do help

Marvin Fleischman

>>> "Chris Canning" <chriscanning@xxxxxxxxxxx> 03/14/08 9:06 PM >>>
>
>Often the deal is that the person/band running the open jam is getting paid
>by the bar owner who wants to see a $ return on his investment. The
>coordinator of the jam wants the regulars up first so that they show up
>repeatedly for more jams. Keeping the regular crowd of players happy and
>returning translates into liquor sales for the bar owner, who then
continues
>to support the jam. I've played sooooooooooooo many open stages, all over
>the country and planet, and I accept the usual routine because I know
that's
>the dope on how these jams run. If you return to the open stage regularaly,
>at some time you too will have "paid your dues" and become part of the
>"first up" crowd. Is it fair? No. Is it what keeps jams from folding? Yes.

It would appear that jams are the same in Aus. How bout the rest of the
world?

>Some tips:
>- If you can sing as well as play harp you will almost alwyas get up faster
>than just listing harp.
>- If you know how NOT to play over a vocalist, you will not get stabbed to
>death. Unfortunately many MANY guitarists do not know this rule and still
>seem to escape stabbings.
>- There are many "Gus" players who don't know that being in the set, and on
>the stage, is the only time it is acceptable to play. I've actually seem
>guitarists plug into wall sockets in the audience, turn on their amps, and
>start playing AT the players on the stage. Madnesss........

I think this is good advice. You need to be bold but respectful,
enthusiastic but not arrogant, pliable but not a pushover. And that's just
before you even get on stage.

Regards Chris