[Harp-L] Lake Placid Sinfonietta Review

Found this review of my concert with the Lake Placid Sinfonietta - Villa-Lobos Harmonica Concerto, Mark Laycock conducting.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com

Lake Placid News
Catherine Burke

After intermission, upon hearing the first notes of the “Concerto for Harmonica” emanate from Bonfiglio’s instrument I was spellbound. This simply didn’t sound like a harmonica. Rather it was akin to the soft, liquid tones of a violin. Small wonder the program bio referred to a discription of him in Los Angeles Times as “the Pagannini of the Harmonica.”

The agility, virtuosity, intensity and spirit of the performance were unrivaled. During the first movement, the haunting “Allegro moderato,” my ear “heard” an organ and a violin as well as a harmonica. This was a totally new experience!

The second movement, the “Andante,” was flawless. Each note, in each movement of course, was perfect: not a wobble, a miss, a falter or a hesitation. The pace, the melody and the serene quality of the “Andante” had me melting in my seat.

Then, when the third and final movement, “Allegro” began, the first word to come to mind “fun.” This joyous sound was downright happy. After being totally transfixed for 20 minutes, I had to leap to my feet at the closing notes. There was simply no other way to respond!