Re: [Harp-L] Igor Flach and the 1847 Silver

Actually, "German Silver" aka nickel silver, is a nickel-copper alloy, sometimes including other metals such as zinc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

It's used for guitar frets and woodwind keys, but may have toxicity problems.

Hohner got rid of nickel plating on their coverplates due, I was told, to German law, as some people are allergic to nickel. Perhaps this alloy doesn't have that problem.

Winslow

Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mar 10, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Frank Evers wrote:

> Hi
>
> Life goes strange ways sometimes. Late Igor Flach was Seydels beta
> tester for the 1847 stainless steel reeds harp.
> However he was still unhappy with todays harmonicas, because he didn't
> want no brass at all in his mouth. Because of this he was looking
> forward to Seydels upcoming "1847 Silver" model.
>
> Now, only two days after his death i see on the Seydel homepage, that
> this Silver model finally is about to be delivered within this
> month - with solid polymer comb and plated made of German Silver.

German silver is actually nickel
smo-joe