Re: [Harp-L] Fender Vibrosonic

I'm certainly not a tech and I'm trying hard to learn more about tubes and
tube amps.

I am familiar with the concept of using lower gain preamp tubes in V1 or V2
to decrease feedback and increase usable power.  I use a Sovtek 5751 in
place of the 12AX7 in my Champ, for example.  My understanding is that 12AU7
tubes are not suitable replacements for 12AX7... the lowest gain tube that
is suitable is the 12AY7.  Is that not right?

I don't understand how changing the Phase Inverter tube will chage the
gain.  Doesn't the phase inverter simply keep dual push-pull power tubes in
sync?  I'd like to know more about this.

And isn't it the rectifier tube that controls the "sag" in the power tubes
by limiting their voltage?  In amps with two rectifier tubes, such as the
Tweed Bassman, some players actually remove one of the recto tubes to get
really fat sag.

I went the other way on my Champ, using a hotter 5V4 recto tube.  Small
single ended amps don't really get sag anyway, since they are pretty much
cooking at full tilt all the time.  So I heat the power tubes a bit more to
get a little more volume and grind.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me on this.  I'm always ready to learn
more.

-Spec20