Re: [Harp-L] Blues Scale / Shapes

I was talking with this producer last night who used to do A& R for Ray Charles. She was relating all these great stories about how this blind genius would work.

She indicated that he could sit in the studio with a 40 piece band in full swing, stop the band and reprimand a player for hitting a flatted 3rd instead of the written natural in bar 47.

Think of the powerful combination of technical and intuitive skills going on in that scenario.

Please continue with the nuts and bolts harp-l members! The examples in youtube links and mp3's are excellent for expressing both art and technique. However, the art can be expressed to some degree in words like feel, shapes, blue note, etc. There sometimes comes a point where definitions are useless. I live for that place so please indulge me a little.

Now speaking of nuts and bolts, this producer asked me to join a recording session today. Am I going to practice my sight reading this morning? You betcha!

Gary Popenoe