Re: [Harp-L] Blues Scale / Shapes

It's nice of you to have picked my brain and said exactly what I was going to say. Saves me a lot of typing.
smo-joe

On Mar 7, 2008, at 6:51 AM, G. E. Popenoe wrote:

Yeah Ken, I play both diatonic and chromatic. It's all about shapes, colors, textures, emotions for me. . While I'm a reader, I don't spend much time thinking about theory.

Sure, I made a point to learn what the books say is a "blues" scale early on, but I simply used study of the various scale types as background information from which to explore. If I actually thought about the nuts and bolts while I was playing my little pea brain would overload.

Most of the time I don't know what key I'm in unless I stop and think about it. I don't want to think. I do plenty of that for my day gig.

Everybody has their own way of getting there. Some use a lot of craft while others use more intuition. My bet would be on intuition in regard to the technique used by the blues greats.

Advice we might hear from one of the greats might be, "Hey man, shut up and play!"

Gary Popenoe