Re: [Harp-L] Fender Vibrosonic

Jim,
  My research show that this is the standard layout of the tube layout for the Vibrosonic:

  http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1095549&sid=9b8d27feec6f14b61cf9263c596f73f2
  (Stock tube layout facing the rear of the amp)
4 6L6GC Power Tubes
12AX7A 1st stage gain
12AX7A 2nd stage gain
12AT7 Reverb Driver
12AX7A Reverb Return
12AX7 Tremolo
12AT7 Phase Inverter

  Is that close to your current setup?
  What I would suggest is concertrate on changing the Gain tubes and the Phase Inverter.  Don't even use the Reverb and Tremolo for harp.  You should, however, make sure that you replace any blown or worn out bulbs.  Especially since you mentioned intermittent performance for the tremolo.

  Here are my suggested tube types:

  12AX7 1st stage gain
12AU7 2nd stage gain
12AU7 Phase Inverter

  or

  12AT7 1st stage gain
12AU7 2nd stage gain
12AU7 Phase Inverter

  or

  12AT7 1st stage gain
12AU7 2nd stage gain
12AY7 Phase Inverter

  Try those and see how they sounds.

  Dave Harris
  http://www.myspace.com/superdharris

"Priest, Jim" <Jim.Priest@xxxxxx> wrote:
  Anybody have any experience of, or views on, a Fender Vibrosonic Reverb as a harp amp? I just acquired one of about mid-70s vintage. It's in just-about-working order but has been in the wars somewhat and needs some TLC. It has a single 15-inch speaker (which looks like a replacement but has no discernable id), tubes are 4 x 6L6 power, MESA brand (one of which has blown) and 6 assorted pre-amp. It has in-built reverb (working) and tremolo (intermittent). And it weighs a ton!

Any suggestions on tube config or upgrades/mods that will suit it better for harp?

Cheers
Jim