Re: [Harp-L] Fender Vibrosonic

If the output tubes are Mesa STR 415's then don't throw them out. Those are very sought after tubes. It's a 6L6 built really well. STR stands for special tube request. Mesa had those made for them as an STR by Sylvania. At least I think they're Sylvanias, could also be GE. A master volume silverface Twin Reverb is an amp I sold that I regret having sold. They're really good at doing that compressed middle singing tone thing. They don't break up a whole lot but the compression is very nice. Almost a horn tone. They're boat anchors and I no longer use large amps but I really miss that tone. I have the mega boat anchor version of the same amp a Super Six Reverb and it has a similar tone. I imagine the 15" speaker would also be similar. The Quad Reverbs which are the 4 12" speaker version sound a lot the same too. Think Albert Collins. The main reason I sold my Twin was the Mesa tubes stopped being readily available in the marketplace and the replacement Ruby Chinese made 6L6's just didn't sound good in that amp. It's a relatively cheap mod to have the tone stack and gain stages set up to be like a Blackface amp. It makes a huge difference in how it sounds. I tried tube substitutions and never liked the result. You lose the edge when the gain is lowered plus the EQ ends up really being different. It's like all the tone gets sucked out of the amp. I really missed the brighter sound. Very barky amplifiers. Big barky middle. The other realy huge difference in sound I made with the Twin was getting the Utah 12's reconed. They had gotten soft sounding. I was stunned by the difference. Steel players really like that amp. It does clean really well. I've never understood why that whole 100 watt silverface series was so disdained by so many players. fjm