Re: [Harp-L] Tommy Morgan - Good Vibrations

Winslow,
  Agreed, listen to old "Rockford Files" shows and you'll here beautiful
ensemble scoring that uses everything from Flutes, Bassoon & Chromatic
Harmonia played by Tommy Morgan.....I don't know if that's him or Brian
foolin around on HELP ME RHONDA....but it's a cute part...
Best, Rob

On 3/1/08 2:32 PM, "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Might there be a harmonica player's remix of Pet Sounds and Smile possible for
> a sepcialty audience?
>
> I was aware of Tommy's participation - a harmonica note pokes through very
> audibly in Good Vibrations, and his bass harmonica part on "I Know There's an
> Answer" is very prominent, but this sound like he was doing much more than I
> realized.
>
> Interestingly, I was re-reading Kim Field's interview with Tommy the other
> day, and Tommy goes on about how harmonica blends almost transparently with
> bowed strings and woodwinds. Over the years I've heard and read similar
> comments from other session chromatic players many times. It kind of puts the
> lie to the idea that any time you include a harmonica in a tune it becomes a
> "harmonica tune" because it sticks out so much.
>
> Winslow
>
> Ken Deifik <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Someone played me a bunch of
> assembly parts from the sessions for the Beach
> Boy's Good Vibrations tonight.  There's every possibility that I have
> listened to that recording more than any other over the last 40 years, but
> even so I was surprised tonight to realize just how much Tommy Morgan is
> playing on that record.
>
> He's playing a bass harmonica and chromatic, I think, and as was par for
> the course back then, it rarely sounds like harmonica.  (Changing the
> sounds of instruments through all kinds of blends and mic placements was a
> big deal in the 60's and nobody did it better than Brian Wilson.)
>
> The thing that really surprised me probably won't surprise alot of people
> on this list.  It's that mellow moment toward the end, starting at 2:45,
> just before the voices come back in for that beautiful chord that leads
> into the last chorus.
>
> Tommy plays, in must be the highest harmonica register, A Ab A Ab A  C D
> F.  I have only heard this passage several thousand times, just like you,
> and it never occured to me that it was harmonica until tonight.  Yay Tommy
> Morgan.
>
> Now I've caught up with those of you who knew that.

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi

email:
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob¹s My Space (check for upcoming Gigs!)
http://www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

Rob¹s Session Sites:
http://www.esession.com
http://www.sessionplayers.com