To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:50 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Tuning

Something which doesn't appear to have been mentioned in the discussion on tuning is the intonation with which notes to be tuned are played. In my experience, different players intone at quite widely varying pitches, whether when playing "normally" or when tuning. This can lead to different players arriving at very different results even when using the same tuning system. Reed pitch is not absolute and can perhaps best be viewed as a continuum between the highest and lowest possible note which the single closing reed can produce. In my opinion the best way to tune accurately is to try to get as close to the "ceiling" or highest possible pitch as you can and tune that, as it is pretty much a constant. I do this by playing the reed with the lowest possible air pressure with which it can sound properly and even let some air pass between lips and harp in order to minimize the pressure difference. This means you are of necessity playing extremely quietly when tuning. However, your playing intonation will to a greater or lesser degree be lower than this pitch, so you need to tune considerably higher than you actually want your harmonica to sound when using this method. You also need to be able to accurately assess the degree to which your playing intonation differs from your tuning intonation. In the chapter on tuning in the Harp Handbook is a table showing my preferences for reaching a compromise just tuning which will sound at just over A=440Hz when I play it.

Of course you can tune using medium air pressure/intonation, which may work for you personally, but if you're tuning harps for other players you can end up with results which differ considerably from the pitch that they wanted. I have had this experience with custom harmonicas from different sources on several occasions. It seems to me that the margin for error here is often greater than the tiny increments which can be measured by strobe tuners.

Steve