[Harp-L] Re: Imaginary Hole Harmonica Technique.

Hi Joel,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I frequently play Irish and Old Time tunes in octaves, with or without
vamping the notes in between.  If the high octave notes in a given tune run
out at the 10th hole, I just play the lower octave on its own, maintaining
the 4-hole blow or 5-hole draw octave embouchure (so as not to have to think
about it much), extending onto the area where the 11th or 12th holes would
be.  The lone notes are not very noticeable in the midst of a passage played
in octaves.  Would this be similar to the technique you describe?

When playing single-note passages that extend beyond the upper or lower
range of the harp, it's effective to switch octaves, up or down, at a
musically appropriate place.  This is a technique often used by tin whistle
players and, while it is not unnoticeable, it is acceptable and often
interesting.

Best regards,
Rick