[Harp-L] painted vs. shiny coverplates

i'm dubious about the tonal qualities of painted cover plates, but I can attest to the fact that that they can provide irrefutable evidence that your embouchere is bad. how? tooth marks.

I play bushman soul's voice harps, and I love their sound but hate the fact that I wind up ingesting some of the paint from the covers. eventually I realized that the chew marks were telling me that a) i'm not keeping my jaw loose and low, and b) the proximity of the marks to the holes shows I don't play with the harp deep enough in my mouth. i'm too embarrassed to say how long it took me to make the connection. but I will say that after years -- decades -- of wondering why my tone was so thin, I now have some clues.
-- andy

Sprint PCS Mail