Re: [Harp-L] Painted vs. Shiny (unpainted) coverplates

Back in the days of hot dispute about the effect of comb material (e.g., wood vs.
plastic) on tone, it was easy to find assertions by harmonica manufacturers that
the material of a particular harmonica's comb was important.  I wouldn't put too
much stock in what the customer service rep told you, nor even in your own
ears comparing the Promaster and Hammond.  A better test would be to swap
the covers onto the same (Promaster or Hammond) harmonica and then see if
the difference can be detected by a dozen or so listeners who can't see which
covers are mounted.
 Regards,
John Thaden

====== On 2008-06-23 at 23:16:58, John Potts wrote: =======
>	The effect that painted cover plates have on the tone of a diatonic
>harmonica is an overlooked topic.
8<snip>8
>	[T]his year, I bought a couple of Suzuki Hammonds (which have
>black painted covers) primarily because I just liked the way they
>looked.  Surprise! The tone was darker, warmer and fatter than the
>Promasters.  I asked Oz Leguizamo at Suzuki customer service about
>this.  Oz  told me that the Promasters and the Hammonds are made to
>identical specifications, but because the Hammonds have painted cover
>plates, the tone is darker.  When I asked Antony Danecker what effect
>painted cover plates have on tone, he essentially confirmed what Oz
>had told me.
>	Painted vs, unpainted cover plates is not a topic that had received
>much attention, but I, for one, have a definite and long standing
>preference for painted covers.  Now I  pay more to get  Hammonds,
>just like I used to pay extra to get Pro Harps.  There is a subtle,
>but definite, difference in tone when a harp has painted cover
>plates. Sometimes, I used to wonder if it was just my imagination.
>But now, after talking to Oz and Antony, my belief  has been
>validated.
8<snip>8