Re: [Harp-L] Standing at the chromatic

Everyone has been giving you excellent advice. You have to practice for sure.

I love to include playing with the radio or CD's as part of my practice. I usually save it for last like desert.

On the fast pieces, I initially play slow long lines over the groove. I'll sometimes play the scale over the tune using a note for each beat. Then I'll throw in simple variations here and there. Then I'll keep adding variations and I'll throw in the occasional faster lick. Pretty soon a I have a reliable collection of moves I can make for that tune.

Do this on enough tunes and you will see patterns emerge just like you do on the diatonic. You'll have a arsenal of licks in a bunch of keys and you got them by having fun playing along with your favorite music.

Be sure to switch genre to expand your vocabulary. Even try a genre you feel you don't like. I've learned a lot that way.

In regard to the double C's pick one that fits most easily into the fingering pattern for that key and stick with it. To be honest with you, I got fairly proficient on the instrument without thinking much about the double C's at all. I kind of naturally gravitated to the C that worked for me in that key.

If I can give any growing chromatc player one piece of advice, it would be, " Excercise and trust your ear, make lots of mistakes and don't over think the intrument."

Gary Popenoe