From: John F. Potts <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
To: Philharpn@xxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 6:55:36 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Standing at the chromatic

    I'm the guy who submitted the post about the difficulties I
experience trying to play the standard chromatic.  The problem I have
is not that I expect it to be the same as the diatonic.  I know what
the differences are and I have a reasonable understanding of how the
chromatic works.  BUT, if I'm improvising at a medium or fast tempo I
tend to "lose my place."  I'm frequently unable to keep track of what
note I am playing by ear alone. And, if I hit the button at the wrong
time, it's a mistake everyone in the room will notice.
    I don't have a problem keeping track of where i am on the diatonic
because 1) there are fewer holes on the diatonic and 2) since most of
the intervals on a diatonic are different, each hole has a different
"feel" in the mouth to an experienced player.
    Other than ear training (which I could probably use) does anyone
have any suggestions on how to keep track of where you are when
improvising on a chrom at fast tempo?
    JP