Re: [Harp-L] Which tuning

Mike Fugazzi wrote:
> If I play Golden Melodies in multiple playing positions, which
> tuning would be for me?  To I keep them in 12TET?  I rarely play
> chords, but do play a lot of octaves.

The intonation of the harmonica will not affect the octaves, since the
same note in different octaves should be tuned to the same pitch.  It's
the relative pitch between other intervals that varies with intonation.

If you don't play chords, then just or compromise intonation won't be
of any use to you, since it's only a benefit when interval notes are
sounded together.

As you imply with your question, some intonation choices might be
problematic in some positions.  For example, if you play in 12th
position, one of the tonic notes is the 5 draw (F on a C harp).  In
Hohner's compromise intonation this note will be tuned more than 10
cents flat.  In 7-limit just intonation, it would be more than a
quarter tone flat.

-tim