Re: [Harp-L] Greatness goes unnoticed

Wow, that's a pretty heavy rant for someone who plays a child's
toy.  Next we're going to hear about how the ukulele player was not
acknowledged...

;-)

-tim

Ansel Barnum wrote:

I was surprised that Howard Levy's cameo on Prairie Home Companion
last weekend went unobserved on harp-l. He once again augmented the
show's musical content with his usual brilliance, which as usual
went unappreciated by Garrison Keillor. It happens every time he
comes on: The other guests, usually of lesser accomplishment, get
lavished with attention and airtime, while Howard plays in the
shadows with little recognition. On last Saturday's show Keillor
gushed more about house band regular Pat Donohue's guitars than
about the virtuosic harp that made the songs soar. And when the
spotlight was briefly cast on Howard, it was for a comedy sketch
that trotted him out as a novelty act. The indignity! And the
injustice. Here's a musical genius who is the only one in the world
(and history for that matter) to play the diatonic harmonica with
such a profound degree of mastery, yet he's denigrated as a mere
sideman who goes unmentioned in the background.

But then apparently Keillor isn't the only one neglecting Howard!
Here at the harp-l chatterbox cafe, even harmonica enthusiasts
didn't take notice of their greatest pioneer performing on national
radio. Given our instrument's undervalued, underestimated, and
underrepresented status in society, I'd think that any amount of
media attention, however inadequate, would be celebrated. Of course,
Howard's sublime music should be reason alone to tune-in!