Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Multiple Harps... or alternate tunings...

Garry Hodgson wrote:
> so, here's a question for the funky tunings crowd.  do you
> generally acquire a full set of harps in the alternate tunings
> you like, or do you just pick specific ones for specific songs,
> or maybe just a few in commonly used keys?

I have a complete set of Paddy Richter tuned harps (including low F
and high G) which are my "standard" gig set.  I also have a set of 12
Melody Maker tuned Tombo Ultimos, and a complete set (from low D
through high G) of natural minor tuned Special 20s.  To me, it's
essential to have a complete set because many of the pieces our band
plays are in "horn keys" like Eb, F, Ab, etc.  I also like to use
alternate tunings in different positions, such as Melody Maker as
natural minor in 5th position.

I usually start with one or two for specific songs, and then break
down and get the rest, but I'm compulsive that way...

-tim