[Harp-L] note refusing to sound after cover plates are attachedd

Dave wrote:

Hold the reedplate up to light, put a little bit of thumbpressure on the base of
the reed to push it into the slot slightly and look for burrs,etc. I'd bet what
you have is a situation where the reed is fine when the reedplate is more at
rest, with a slight bend. When you tighten it straightens out and the reed loses
clearance. In a nutshell, it's embossed to tightly at some point, or there's a
burr, I'm more inclined to think it's a too tight emboss from what you've said.
The answer is to deemboss wherever the catch is. Reed embossing is a game of of
minute, minute dimensions.
My gut says this is a Hohner MS harp. is it?

 Thanks, Dave and Frank.  What u guys have said seems like the logical explanation. I myself
guessed at the warpage factor but i was actually hoping to be able to identify which side of the
slot is over-embossed. I'm guessing the side that is closest to the screw. As Frank suggested, I had
put the cover plate screw back in to simulate the problem, but lack of light prevented me from
diagnosing the problem.
  Fwiw, I have a nice embossing station that i made after Joe Spiers kindly posted instructions on
how to make.  For anyone who may have missed it, I made an embossing station and posted about it
on Harp-L a year or two ago with the subject, "Poor man's embossing station".  Check the archives.
  Anyway..... the troublesome harp is a Hohner Meisterclass modular system - how did u guess? It
belongs to a friend. I am not a fan of MS.  From my experience, i often see lousy tolerances, poor
gapping, and reeds that sit off-kilter in their slots.
  Sorry about the question marks i just know are gonna be in my text. I don't know how to eliminate
them.
ron