[Harp-L] Re: Are different overtones available by changing reed shape?

Jonathan,

Thank you for taking the time to research and answer my questions.
You've provided lots of food for thought, as well as resources to search
for more information. When I have some time, I may have a machinist
friend try building a single reed chamber with some of these ideas. I
wish I had the engineering math skills to model some of these ideas,
but I've been too many years away from advanced calculus. I much
prefer theoretical predictions over brute force experimentation at least
for getting in the ball park of a solution.

I've had another idea since I last posted.

Sculpt the reed chamber, similar in shape to the double chambers
used on the violin or the guitar. I guess this might have a similar effect
to the famous Tate ramps. The idea is to create a resonant chamber
around the reed itself. Obviously, this might not be possible for the
fundamental frequency, but it might resonate with one of the overtones.

Regards,
Crazy Bob

Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage.
http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_062008