Re: [Harp-L] Take Me Out To The Ball Game once more

Take it from the top: Take Me Out to te Ball Game is really a piece of cake
once you know the bends on draw 2 and draw 3.

This means that the average intermediate harmonica player doesn't have to
"fake" any notes; he/she can play them all. For chromatic or slide harp, it's
easy.

Since the original sheet music of Take Me Out to the Ball Game was published
in 1908, it is now in the public domain. That means you don't have to pay any
fees to print it or perform it or record it. However, the lyrics have changed
slightly from the original and what the crowds usually sing in the Seventh
Inning Stretch -- a third version of the lyrics.

(Follow the notation above the lyrics (the vocal line); the grand staff is
piano music.)

Note that while the song is in the key of D (2 sharps) and the phrase in the
chorus (nobody knows the verse and always skips it) Take me out to the ball
game starts on the note D and   goes to high D (Take Me) you can visualize that
your are only dealing with an octave span. Further perusal reveals that the
whole song stays with an octave except for one note.

 If the chorus starts on D in the key of D, that might suggest that to
transpose it (chromatically) to the key of the universal C, all you have to do is
move each note down a full step (D down to Db, down to C).

Putting all of the above on the C diatonic harmonica means that Ball Game can
be played on hole 1-4. Further, those nasty accidentals (A# and G# in the key
of D) become F# and G# in the key of C. That means the 1st bend on Draw 2,
and 3rd bend on Draw 3.

COMPUTER/TECHNICAL GARBAGE: Actually, if you want to print out your own copy
of the 1908 sheet music Take Me Out to the Ball Game you might have better
luck with the Library of Congress version. The green cover is not as brighte but
you can get the whole cover.   I downloaded the pdq of Levy Collection twice
and each time all I got was the first line of the cover. When I tried to print
the pdq, my computer hung.

I have printed out the below version which has an additional advertisement
page on page 2 and 6. To avoid getting a 3/4 size printout, simply enlarge the
image on the screen and print it out.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.natlib.ihas.200033481/pageturner.html?pa
ge=1&section=&size=640

Or you can click on the image, copy and paste it into another document so you
can print it out without any of the web site border type.

Needless to say, this is probably more band space on   one song than it
deserves, but it points up the fact that many old songs are available free on the
web to print out and that anybody can make his or her own tab chart or
transpose a tune without too much trouble. And you don't need a music degree to do it.
I bought my Dr. of Music degree years ago from an FM classical radio station
for $25.

Hope this helps.
Phil Lloyd