Re: [Harp-L] Re: SEHNNEISER E640 MIC

Gianfrancesco Leone wrote:
> Sorry...not E640
> The right initials is: E604

I use a Sennheiser e604 microphone exclusively for diatonic
harmonica.  I keep trying to use other, more stylish or more popular
mics - I probably own more than 20 mics, including a couple of JT-
30s, an Astatic T3, a Shure 545, a Slim-X and a couple of Lafayette
clones, and a few different Ev models (630, 604, 924) - but I keep
coming back to the Sennheiser.  The thing is solid as a rock, it's
small and light, and it works great with my AKG Snap-On XLR wireless
transmitter.

I will say that this mic is very clean, which is the way I like it.
It's virtually impossible to overdrive the mic, and the frequency
response is pretty flat across a spectrum which far exceeds
most "tradtional" harmonica mics.  It also is rated for very high
sound pressures, so it doesn't break up if you're playing loud
straight into the face of it.  This works for me; I prefer to add my
coloration in the preamp and effects stages, which gives me a broader
palette of sounds.

Here are a few of pictures of my mic (I cut the mount swivel off with
a hacksaw):
http://www.workingmansharps.com/Other/e604mod_01.jpg
http://www.workingmansharps.com/Other/e604mod_02.jpg
http://www.workingmansharps.com/Other/e604mod_03.jpg