[Harp-L] Recent Growth Opportunity

So I have been feeling pretty good about my playing recently but my impressions were recently put to the test. A friend of mine, who posts here occasionally, had a gig the night of an upcoming performance for another band he plays with, so when I put in for the job (not knowing it was his) he gave me a nice endorsement. I had never even heard the group before, but like I said, I was feeling pretty good about things.

When I got to the first rehearsal I still hadn't gotten a recording of the songs, and the genre was more roots/Americana and not the Chicago type playing I have been focusing on lately.  The first rehearsal had me questioning myself, but I resolved to listen to the songs and see what happened at the next rehearsal.

Well, things went well. I was able to adapt to the change in style and genre, and by applying basic skills: learning the timing of the songs and the chord structure, listening to my fellow band mates, and playing as part of a group and not a soloist or lead but focusing on the singer, doing whatever I could to make her sound better and staying back unless asked to step up. Basically a KISS approach (keep it simple sunshine). The band leader liked what I did, and even had me play on a song where she used minimal accompaniment. It felt great to have my impressions about my playing validated.

The set list is posted below, with the key and artist/arrangement we worked with as a template. For the most part I used the low tuned harps to play back up, mainly arpeggios and chording and some basic licks from each song, then I went up a register when soloing. I played mainly first and second position, standard Richter tuning except for the key in C minor for which I used a natural minor tuning. We changed the key for I Want a New Drug. I played what I felt on everything but Big Road, which I learned from the recording because the singer really liked the original. I agree with her, it's a great lick and is almost non-stop harp from beginning to end, she gave me three solos on that one.

So whats my game plan from here? Just keep practicing as often as I have been, keep working on learning more music theory, and keep having fun.

Oh yeah, and practice the daylights (edited for harp list posting guidelines ;->) out of the songs for the show, which is this Saturday in Ayer, Massachusetts.

Set list

1.    Railroad Bill (C) Crooked Still

2.    Eight More Miles (A) Laurie Lewis

3.    Folsom Prison Blues (G) Keb Mo'

4.    Tear My Stillhouse Down (D) - Gillian Welch

5.
Want a New Drug (D) Glenn Phillips

6.
Big
Road (G) Bonnie Raitt

7.
Ain’t
No Sunshine (Cm)  Joan Osborne

8.
Walking
the Blues (C#) Maria Muldaur

9.
Big
River (E) Rosie Flores

10.
Love
Me Like a Man (A) Bonnie Raitt

11.
Angel
from Montgomery (E) Bonnie Raitt
12. Dear Someone (Eb) Gillian Welch
Walter

Now you can invite friends from Facebook and other groups to join you on Windows Live™ Messenger. Add now.