[Harp-L] Girl With Emphysema chords <LONG-but good?>

Tim Moyer posts:> But seriously, have you ever tried that on diatonic? It's a challenge! > The bridge modulates in half-steps, and takes some serious overblows - > or a harp switch! - to play it through.
OK-let's look at GFI (with a nod to Mr. Yerxa's posting style!)

Fmaj7 / Fmaj7 / G7 / G7 / Gmin7 / Gb7 / Fmaj7 / Gb7
Fmaj7 / Fmaj7 / G7 / G7 / Gmin7 / Gb7 / Fmaj7 / Fmaj7

Bridge:
Gbmaj7 / Gbmaj7 / B7 / B7
F#min7 / F#min7 / D7 / D7
G-7 / G-7 / Eb7 / Eb7
A-7 / D7b9 / G-7 / C7b9

Fmaj7 / Fmaj7 / G7 / G7 / Gmin7 / Gb7 / Fmaj7 / (Gb7)

The A section is mostly in F major, watch out for the B natural over the G7 and then your note choices Gb7(tritone substitution)

The Bridge: does start up 1/2 step on the Gbmaj7 for 2 bars (play Gb major) then:

up a minor 3rd to B7 (play B Mixolydian -E major starting on B)
remember: any mixolydian scale can be enhanced harmonically and rhythmically by adding the major 7 of the scale thus the B Bebop scale #1 here it is descending for a change: B A# A G# F# E D# C# B   you can look at as a Mixolydian with a major 7 added or as a Major scale with a flat 7 added. always feel free to start on a scale tone other the root-the 3rd or 5th works nicely and opens up new ideas.

up a 4th to F#min7

down a major 3rd to D7 (play D Mixolydian -G major starting on D) -now, here you can look at it as being in G minor as D7 is the V7 of G minor -the next chord (G minor is very similar to the home key of F!)

down a major 3rd to Eb7 (this is a very bluesey sound at this point in the progression-act accordingly) (play Eb Mixolydian -Ab major starting on D or Eb blues scale)

now this final 4 bar cadence is pure F major: III-7, VI7, I-7, V7 (play notes in F Major scale trhoughout, making sure to emphasize the F# & Eb over the D7b9 chord- half-whole dimnished starting on D works great here as would Eb Melodic Minor starting on D)

OK, OK --I know this may not seem like fun to some of you guys and may intrigue others who have no idea what I am talking about. Anybody interested in more info can see me at the Filisko Teach-In at SPAH. I am also looking into doing a seminar or two at SPAH.
Oh yeah, the theory is fun for me because it helps me to make better music.
This post was also fun because I have always wanted to do a Yerxa-esque post!

Michael Peloquin http://www.harpsax.comhttp://www.myspace.com/harpsax