To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harlem Nocturne -- fakebook search

Somebody asked recently about harmonica tab for Harlem Nocturne. I don't have
one but I can tell you how you can make your own with the aid of a fakebook.

A fakebook is simply the cheapest legal way to get the largest collection of
tunes. It has a one-note melody line, chord names and lyrics.

For example, The Ultimate Fakebook (1200 tunes, 3rd edition) is $45 (the
mini-size version $35). Look for the edition for "keyboard, vocal, guitar, all C
instruments" but the music is not limited to the key of C. (Also note, there
are also Eb and Bb editions.)

If you are looking for copy of Harlem Nocturne, it is available in the
following fakebooks:
10 results.
Harlem Nocturne
Ultimate Jazz Fakebook

Harlem Nocturne
Real Book Volume 3
Page: 104

Harlem Nocturne
New Real Book Volume 2
Page: 127
Composer/Artist: Earle Hagen

Harlem Nocturne
Ultimate Fake Book

Harlem Nocturne
TV Fake Book

Harlem Nocturne
Jazz of the '50s

Harlem Nocturne
Real Chord Changes For 54 Standards

Harlem Nocturne
The Best Chord Changes for the Best Standards Ever

Harlem Nocturne
The Easy Forties Fake Book

Harlem Nocturne
The Real Book (legal edition) - Volume 3

FYI: In the previous century, fakebooks were bootleg collections of the
melody line and chords of songs that were still under copyright control (meaning
that if you legally wanted to print the sheet music you had to pay the
owner/publisher of the music.)

Professional musicians discovered that if they had only the melody line and
chords, they could "fake" a song during a live gig or studio session that they
didn't otherwise "know." (have memorized).

These original fakebooks were available "under the counter" at the music
store and were often handdrafted copies of the sheet music. Since there was no
control, some fakebooks were better than
others -- and often the chords were simplified or just plain wrong.

Over the years (don't know exactly when this started) legitimate publishers
realized that they could reach additional sheet music customers by selling
their own version of fakebooks containing the music they controlled. Again, some
were better than others.

Nowadays, there are categories of fakebooks: Beatles, Gershwin, Broadway,
Country, Jazz, Blues, R&B, Soul, Standards and even Classical.

The great thing about a fakebook is that they contain that universal language
-- music notation -- so they work with all instruments: piano, guitar and
even harmonica.

But they don't come in harmonica tablature; they only come in music notation.

Is that a brick wall? What if you don't read music?

Simple. Any intermediate level harmonica player already owns at least one
harmonica book that includes both music notation and harmonica tablature.

How do you double check to make sure you are playing the right note (the one
in the music notation)? Simple, buy yourself a chromatic tuner that will give
you a readout for the harmonica note you play. (DO NOT buy a guitar
tuner--they tend to recognize notes like C as really flat D strings.) Also, unlike
harmonicas, you can actually test a chromatic tuner in a store against your
harmonica to see if it will read the low and high notes. Also, there are probably
some Internet tuners.

By comparing the blow-draw tablature with the notation you can match up the
notes with the tablature so that you can tell and create your own tablature for
a given song in the fakebook.

Is this tricky the first time you do it? Probably. But hey, Charlie
Musselwhite did it with a trumpet instruction book. If you want to do it, so can you.

Besides, once you try making your own tab a few times, you will never have to
waste your time looking for somebody else's harp tab. You'll have your own
and know it's right.

Hope this helps.

Phil Lloyd