[Harp-L] Seydel design ripped off!

Well, the crime I'm reporting happened probably 90 years ago;)  This 1923 Seydel catalog I've seen talks about all these Bandmaster rip-offs, with the megaphone side vent and whatnot... Catalog makes such a huge deal out of it, there must have been a serious problem. Well, here's one of them, first I've seen on the web, a blatant rip-off of the original Seydel Bandmaster from Johann Schunk. In addition to the side vent megaphone, it rips the five-hole design of the mini-bandmaster...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINIATURE-JOHANN-SCHUNK-GERMAN-HARMONICA-WORKS-5-NOTES_W0QQitemZ310054072549QQihZ021QQcategoryZ119095QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ripping off other people's harmonica designs was, as Hank Williams would say "used to be high tone" back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Seydel probably copied the occasional design from somebody, pretty much everybody did. Hohner was the worst offender, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Hohner with that technology.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com