Re: [Harp-L]Thomas Hart Benton

Thomas Hart Benton recorded a 78 rpm album consisting of 3 double-sided 78
rpm discs titled   "Saturday Night at Tom Benton's" in the fall of 1941. This
means 6 tunes.

Tom Benton had at least two Hohner chromatic   harmonicas (I saw them at his
Kansas City home on the way home from SPAH 2005). The harmonicas and some of
Tom's harmonica "sheet music" were in Tom's painting studio, which I think had
once been a carriage house.   Tom's home is now a museum, looking like it
appeared when he lived there. A copy of the record album sits on the piano. I
asked   Steve Sitton, who was then the administrator of the Thomas Hart Benton
home if there were any plays to reissue the album and he said there were none.

To my knowledge, the album was only issued in the 78 rpm format. "Thomas Hart
Benton: An American Original by Henry Adams (Knopf, 1989) has a postage-stop
size b & w photo of the album cover which only lists the performers, not the
tunes. The caption says the project was a three-record set. The fourth revised
edition of "An Artist in American," Benton's autobiography was published in
1983 (Benton died in 1975 and was involved in the 2nd and 3rd editions.)

In the chronology, Benton says: "Made an   album of flute, harmonica, and
voice with son Thomas P., an accomplished flutist, and Frank Luther's singers for
Decca records, "Tom Benton's Saturday Night" (sic) Music based on American
folk songs, especially composed for album."

The SPAH seminar "Thomas Hart Benton Folk Artist and Harmonica Player"
presented   by Steve Sitton, site administrator for the Thomas Hart Benton Home and
Studio State Historic Site" suffered from an embarrassing lack of attendance
-- I remember less than 5 counting me. I remember thinking at the time that I
had never seen an event so poorly attended during more than 15 years of
attending SPAH conventions. I could understand people not knowing who Benton was, but
he WAS identified as a harmonica player in the SPAH schedule.

Benton couldn't read music or if he could, he couldn't make the connection
with the chromatic harmonica. SO what he did was use a series of numbers and
arrows to indicate if the note was a blow note or a draw note and when to push
the button.   The album was recorded in 1941, so Benton was using his arrow
system long before that. Because the idea for the album was based on the fact that
Benton used to have musician friends show up at his house and perform on
Saturday nights. He also used to play harmonica with his wife on guitar and son on
flute.

Some people credit Tom Benton with inventing the arrow and number system of
harmonica tablature. (He never published his "arrangements" that I could
determine.) I don't know if this is true or not, but I have copies of early
harmonica books (as well as contemporary books) that use all sorts of convoluted forms
of tablature that are more difficult to read than the arrow system. Nowadays,
the number arrow tab is quite common. It's easy to write, put a slash on the
arrow to indicate bends.

Back in 2005, when I went to the Benton house, and saw the tunes, I might
have known what the tunes on the album were. But I haven't seen my notes in years
and memory fails because I haven't throught about this in years.

Phil Lloyd