Re: [Harp-L] overblows vs half valving

I second the sentiment that it is great chops not instrunent tweaking that get the listeners attention. A great musician could wow an audience with just about any instrument.

An additional note: I've only joined this blog since the new year and while I've gotten some great technical info and musician references, I've only occassionally read about emotional or artistic feelings / aspirations. So i'm gonna get all mushy on you.

There have been many times while playing alone when a sense of near rapture has come over me. Tears come to my eyes and I'm reminded that playing this instrument is my prayer and meditation.

The the great thing about the harmonica is how heart breakingly intimate and soulful it can be in the right hands. Listen to Big Walter Horton play Trouble In Mind on the album he did with Carey Bell. He plays three notes in his solo that absolutely rip my heart out. Just three notes!

Let's talk phrasing and how to listen and about the spaces in between the notes. What kind of place does my head have to be in to play those three notes as well as Big Walter did?

That's what I want know and I'm pretty sure what audiences want to hear.

From Gary Popenoe