[Harp-L] Please, help me save my upper lip!

I play a lot of tongue blocking for chording and octaves, although I play pucker as well for some leads/runs. I like to do a lot of jumps using octaves and even some runs, so I have the harp fairly deep in my mouth. What has me concerned is that invariably my upper lip gets torn up inside my mouth. I don't notice it until after I play, sometimes not until the next day. I'm thinking that this can't be good over the long run.

Does anyone else have this happen? Any ideas for how to limit or stop the damage (I'm not about to stop playing octaves or chords the way I do)?

I use Golden Melody harps a lot but I am slowly drifting to Special 20s and Seydel Blues Session harps.

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference.