[Harp-L] Howard Levy N.Y.C. workshop like you haven't seen

Dear Group!

We are glad to announce that Howard Levy will grace us with a workshop here in NY.

The NY workshop in December was a great success. This workshop will not repeat the material. It will cover completely different material. Those who participated in the previous one will certainly gain out of this one too.

Here's the info.

Saturday March 22, 2008

3:45-5:45pm

Location:

Ripely Grier Studios

520 Eighth Avenue (between 36th & 37th St.)

Studio #17C (enter from 16th fl)

New York, NY 10018

Since our time at the studio is limited, we ask everyone to come a few minutes earlier so we can start at 3:45 sharp.

This workshop will cover material Howard has not covered in the past. Howard will cover all the different ways that you can play Blues on a diatonic harmonica – different styles, different keys, major, minor, etc. – Blues in all 12 keys on one harp, with a few simple licks that he will show you in all 12 keys on one harp. He will go into detail on the ways of bending overblows to make them more Bluesy and expressive, like bends – because they are Bends. He will explain Rhythmic Breathing rudiments – chordal and single notes. This builds speed and tone. Also, he will explain how to get a good throat tremolo, which is necessary to getting a rich sound on the harp.

Unlike the previous workshop, this workshop will be more hands-on. Everyone will get an opportunity to play.

Howard's son Miles will also be there to play drums (snare and hihat). Chris Siebold will accompany him on the guitar. Those who've seen them in action know they rock!

Howard Levy needs no introduction. He is a Grammy Award winner and a founding member of the trail-blazing jazz group Béla Fleck and the Flecktones.

As Kim Field writes, Howard "... may be the most radical single technical innovator in the history of his instrument..." (Harmonicas, Harps, and Heavy Breathers, Simon & Schuster 1993).

This workshop is geared towards anyone who is interested in expanding their own musical knowledge as it relates to the harmonica. It would be appropriate for beginners through advanced players and would be interesting to non-harmonica players as well.

Check his website: http://www.levyland.com/

**

The cost is $35 in advance and $40 at the door.

The space is limited, and we urge everyone to pay in advance.

To pay in advance, please send $35 via PalPal to zaranoff-at- nyc.rr.com (replace the word “at” with the symbol @), and notate you're paying for "Howard Levy Workshop".

Please do NOT send the funds via credit card. We're not a business and can't accept any additional credit card transactions via PayPal.

When we get the funds we'll send you confirmation.

If you do not have a PayPal account, please email me at the above address and we'll work out a payment method.

We are looking forward to seeing you all!

Thanks.

Zvi Aranoff

Brooklyn Harmonica Club

PS.
If you have specific harp issues related to the outline above that you would like Howard to address, please email me off list and I'll try to get Howard to address them.